Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A fated experience?





I was on a jeepney on my way home yesterday, and as usual I was deep in my thoughts when an old woman carrying a cute puppy (di ko alam anong breed) went in. At dahil nakukyutan nga ako sa puppy, I sat closer to the woman (bandang entrance na ng jeep). Then the jeepney went as there were no more vacant seats.




When we passed by the Rotunda, a man quickly jumped onto the jeepney. Although hindi ko masyadong nakita mukha niya, I sensed right away that he was one of those 'tambays' (haha. very judgemental indeed!) Even though puno na yung jeep, pinagsiksikan pa rin niya yung sarili nya. He didn't sit next to me, a woman was sitting in between us. I almost found my way back to my deep thoughts ng biglang umusog yung babaeng katabi ko and let the new passenger sit comfortably. I then noticed the new passsenger's restlessness – he kept on turning not only his head but the half of his body!! I found it very irritating that every time he turned his head, he’s face is like 5 inches away from mine. Then it came to me, HE’S A WEIRDO!






The man I just newly branded ‘weirdo’ dropped off a few minutes after without paying for his fare and ran across the street to get into another jeepney going downtown again (abnormal jud). There was tension in the air when the konduktor shouted fervently asking for his pamasahe. As the driver decided to let it go, all the other passengers started talking about the man. Everyone else noticed not only his restlessness but also his PULANG MATA. They unanimously concluded that he’s a magnanakaw.

After everyone checked and found that there were no missing things, I listened to their chant of thanksgiving to God for saving us from the magnanakaw who might have had a knife with him. Yung isang pasahero panay ang sabi na iniligtas nga daw kami ng Panginoon dahil hindi Niya hinayaang may masamang mangyari sa'min.


Then our discussion in our Philosophy class that day suddenly popped out of my mind. It was about whether history is predetermined by fate or is it contingent. The thief could have sat beside me, he could have had the courage to declare holdup and had us give him every valuables we had. The passengers who noticed earlier that he was a thief could have spouted something or panicked that might have placed us in a not-so-good situation. I myself could have brought out something valuable enough in his eyes, but no I didn't. All these things didn't happen, the passengers were all safe and he wasn't able to snatch something. Was it fate? Was it predetermined that all of us would be safe? 

I read astrological horoscopes, and sometimes when I feel like I'm a little lost and confused of which way should I move forward to, I ask signs from heaven, but I'm not the kind of person who leaves everything to heaven's will. I am aware that in order to get where I want to be, I have to strive and make effort, but thinking that even my making effort and even the dreams I have now are already predetermined takes me back to the question Is history predetermined or contingent? 


Anyways, as the rest of the world is struggling to have an answer to that certain question, I will continue exercising my free will in deciding which way I want to go and achieving things I want to achieve. I may consult my horoscope again or do ask signs from heaven in the future, but I'll make sure that whatever I decide on will take me one step closer to my goal. Whether my goal is predetermined or not, as long as I know it will make me and everyone around me happy then GO, BRING IT ON!

0 (mga) puna:

Post a Comment